Top-Gardens.net   

  The Botanic garden of Rome

     

 

The Botanic garden of Rome: 

  PhotoGallery_1

  PhotoGallery_2

  

DiaShows:

  DiaShow 1

  DiaShow 2

  DiaShow 3

  

 

 

Info   

 

 

 

The Botanic garden of Rome originates from the Vatican gardens when the Pope Nicholas III at the end of the 13th century transferred the residence from San Giovanni in Laterano to the Vatican area; near the Roman walls created a Viridarium or Pomerium were spontaneous tree and grass species were cultivated for medical use.

We can consider the Viridarium an Hortus simplicium. In the next centuries the location of the Hortus simplicium changed inside the Vatican area and then it was transformed in a Botanical garden. In 1660 Pope Alexander VII gave to the Sapienza University an area behind the Paolina Fountain on the Gianicolo hill to create the Botanical garden not controlled by the Pope. Subsequently, in 1820, the Botanic garden was transferred to the garden of the Salviati Palace nean the Lungara street where conditions were more favourable for plants cultivation. 

When Rome became the capital of Italy all the scientific Institutions were transferred to the Viminale hill and the Botanic garden in the San Lorenzo in Panisperna covent garden (1873). In 1883 the italian State acquired Corsini palace and and transferred in its garden the Botanic garden from Panisperna plant collections and the Monumental greenhouse built in France in 1877. Actually the Botanic garden extends over the archaeological area of the Septimius Severus and his son Getae Baths; it is characterised by historical fountains and buildings, and many rare and endagered species cultivated outdours and in the historical greenhouses. There are also many important

Map (Orto Botanico)

http://www.musei.uniroma1.it/informamuseoen.asp?ID=16

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 tginfo@top-gardens.net                 top-gardens.net
More on net and concerning gardens
Fastest SFTP, FTP and FTPS Client on the Planet, GoFTP FREE